Sunday, April 12, 2009

6 April 2009

Hi Family! I had a very enjoyable conference weekend this week. I was able to watch it in English again. They had a smaller room with a TV and put it in English. For the Sunday morning session there was an American family in there with us 4 missionaries. It was a couple with 4 young kids. And for the priesthood session two Americans came to watch it. We were able to watch all sessions except the Saturday afternoon session, but we made it back for priesthood. We had to go to an appointment that early afternoon and couldn't make it back in time. I enjoyed the priesthood session the most, the talks were really great. I watched when they called the new apostle, and heard about when Monson talked about the Mexico City temple rededication. That was really neat.
Elder Green, Elder Genoa and Elder Atkinson watching General Conference.
Some of us missionaries were wondering if we can download the conference talks or not... So that's nice to know that we can do it. I think I will print off a few talks to have. My DL has 7 months in the mission, or been out seven months, one change less than I do. So he is still pretty new. He's from Montana I believe. We get along fairly well. His companion is one of my buddies I met here, Elder Genoa from Canada. Genoa has completed 16 months in the mission, I have a picture with him that I will send to you. It's pretty rare that two Americans get put together, but Elder McManama from my district is with an American also I just found out. I'm still in contact with the 3 other missionaries from my generation, we talk regularly by cell phone.

Part of J.J.'s area about 20 minutes from his house.

The teaching has been going well. We started teaching a grandson of a member who lives next to us. The boy is 10 years old and he heard the lessons about a year ago, but never got baptized. His parents want him to get baptized so we have just been teaching him this past week. We could have the baptism this upcoming weekend, but since there won't be water we might have to wait until the next weekend. The water didn't go out last weekend, it’s going to go out this upcoming weekend. All the festivals are going to start this week and most of the roads will be closed down and filled up like a carnival. There are lots of mini rides and things set up and it's going to fill the streets I heard, it’s like a fair with games and food and rides and things like that.

Pathway they take while tracting.

Hopefully my packages will come this Wednesday and I will get them from my DL if they do come. Thank you again. What Mom has planned for my birthday would be fine, or you can just send the items all together and you don't have to wrap them individually if it takes up a lot of room. So whatever you would like to do is fine.

View looking up the pathway.

That is a very interesting story about Spencer Steel. I'm sorry to hear that, but living with the same person and always being with him, especially when you can't choose the person (and it’s not a cute babe) can be very difficult. I've heard stories of elders here who have fought or hit each other. It happened about 3 weeks ago actually, two missionaries that I know. Thank you for the rest of the updates about the Steel's. I remember going to Blake and Jordan's farewells. seems so long ago, yet the time passed so quickly. It's hard to believe they're back and already married.

Thumbs up Elder Green!

I haven't done much sit ups or push ups lately, but there are weights in the house that I try to use often. Definitely not the exercise I used to get. Funny how that works.. Before the mish I wanted to gain weight to build more muscle, but it was hard for me to do it. And now I'm gaining the weight but don't want it. Haha. I’m definitely out on my bracket... I only had one team out of four that made it to the final four, UNC. The final game is tonight, hopefully it's a good game if you guys end up watching it.

A view from his area looking over Mexico City.

Yes, I bought my hammock on Thursday morning! It is really cool, I like it a lot. I will send you pics right now. I decided that I won't send it home and just hold onto it, it can be smashed down into a small bag so it’s not an inconvenience. It looks good with the Mexico colors and it's heavy duty, made out of nylon the guy said. I gave him 200 pesos extra and he was very grateful. I just can't use Clorox when I wash it if it ever gets dirty, so don’t let me forget that please. I’ll think and let you know about my guesses for Korn Dog and Amberlee. J.J.'s new Mexico hammock.

Soccer was fun last week, I can still hold my own out on the field. I can call you Mother’s Day night or day I think. I will talk to my comp and see when he’s going to call his family. But I think that any time would work just fine. When would you prefer? Can you see how bad the smog is?!

This week was fairly hot, the summer is on it’s way, that’s for sure. Congrats Dad on winning the golf game with your customers. Our microwave has been working better this week, it doesn’t blow out as much. I know it's not very safe, but the houses are pretty ghetto.

The Mission President lives out there somewhere... It's the rich area.

I’m not sure what the Bishop of the other Ward does here, I never asked him. I’ve only talked to him a few times and I know that he’s from the US.

Spray paint artist using only spray paint! One of the "coolest things I have ever seen".

On Friday night we had a family night with a few members, it was really enjoyable. We played a game at the end and then had some refreshments, we all had a good time. Our Ward Mission Leader came with his family, and later gave us a ride home. He has a red, `92 Ford Explorer, brought back memories driving in that.

Making a spray paint picture.

I will try to send you some pictures right now that I took from this week.

Finished paintings selling for 30 pesos (US$ 2.28) each.

I love you!
Elder Green

No comments: