Monday, April 27, 2009

27 April 2009

Good morning family! This was a very interesting weekend that just passed. As Mom mentioned, there is some big virus going around, and everyone is making a huge - huge deal about it. It got serious on Saturday, there were a bunch of people passing out free mouth covers all over the streets and everyone was wearing them. I took a few pics of me with mine on just for fun. It felt like Japan or something. Supposedly 6 people have died and a lot are infected, but I haven't seen anything too serious here in my area.

The people are so scared that they actually cancelled all church meetings late Saturday night. We were supposed to have our stake conference but it was cancelled. Sunday, our DL told us that we need to stay in our house until further notice. It made the weekend a little tough because nobody will even shake your hand on the street, they're all too scared. It didn't feel like a Sunday at all. We were in the house until 2 and then we went to the food appointment.

They also cancelled the junta tonight and so my comp. and I are going with our ward mission leader to go walking in the mountains. My area is really big, as I've told you before, and one part of our area is called La Pila, where my mission leader lives. It's the highest part in all of the D.F., and it gets chilly up there. But he told us that there are some cool lakes or something so we are going to go see those this afternoon. I'll take pictures for you and send them. I'm excited for that, it should be a fun evening.
I can't believe Shantaye will be going to Young Women’s already! That's hard to believe.. Everyone is growing up so fast. Happy birthday to Mom by the way!! I hope you have a great day! Sounds like you got some nice gifts from the family. I will tell you happy birthday again in 13 days, but on the phone this time :) 46, still young, don't worry Mumskis :) I love you Mom!! Just wanted to say thank you for everything, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all of your help that you gave me through my whole life. And also if you didn't borned me. Haha. Love ya!
Yes, I was a little bummed about not getting the packages in time for Easter, but I didn't say anything to my DL. It wouldn't have changed anything, I got the packages eventually. Thank you again! A birthday package with similar stuff will be just perfect, and the stamps also. Thank you. I have enough paper and envelopes still. I can also buy envelopes at the temple and paper anywhere, it's only the stamps I don't know where to get them. I don't need any ties, basketball shorts or socks. I just bought some new socks in Walmart, and I brought enough shorts to last me. But thank you :) Just whatever cool you come up with will be great. A church DVD would be cool to have. I only have the testaments, but it's great to watch with investigators. Also the Joseph Smith movie, the shorter one, that helps them understand a lot better.

I'm excited to hear about Amberlee's call. That is cool that Dallas is going to Chile. Thanks for the updates. Let's still plan on Sunday night at 7 for the phone call, Mother's Day. I am almost positive that I will get a new companion, and it's almost for sure that he is leaving. But there's been some rumors going around that the ZL's are going to move into this area. The Prez is splitting up the zone into two zones, and from what we've heard they will most likely come here. I'll let you know next Monday for sure because we'll find out Sunday night. That means I won't be in this area for my birthday either, but nothing's final. The Prez can change anything that night if he feels he needs to.
I haven't fixed my shoes yet but they haven't been bothering me anymore. There's not near as many hills in this area and so they soles don't slip around, but I'll still try to get them glued down. I think we bought the shoes too big, and that's why this happened. Or they stretched out a lot. Dress shoes always do that, at least the ones I've had.
Remember how my old dress shoes were only a size 9??

Sounds like you had some good food at the Mexican restaurant. I'd like to go to a few with you when I get back to see how the food is, and how authentic it really is.

We have two baptisms set up for this upcoming weekend, Adriana and her daughter Jessica. They really enjoyed the Visitor Center last week, and we went to visit them last Tuesday again. We taught them lesson 3 and baptism. It was such an amazing experience, the Spirit was so so strong! They both want to get baptized and are excited. Adriana still had some doubts and said she needed more time on the repentance part, so we've been helping her and working with her. At the end of the lesson, we all knelt down together and said the final prayer, and I think all of us were in tears. On Thursday, our DL came to talk with them and help them out, and also give them the interview for baptism.
We will visit her all this week to make sure she feels ready and answer any questions she might have, and then this weekend they are going to get baptized.

We are also working with the 9 year old boy, and we are going to try to plan a baptism date for him also, maybe this upcoming weekend. We went to visit him several times but he hasn't been home, so that's made it tough.

We still go out tracting, knocking doors, contacting on the street, checking references. I use a coin to knock doors, or my keys, since the doors are made out of metal. We have a map of the area, but it's really old and doesn't help much. I know the area really well now though, been here for 3 months. That was a really quick 3 months also, crazy how time goes.

I'll definitely look before I jump off of buses. It wasn't going way fast so it wouldn't have hurt too bad, but better to just avoid that all together. That is way neat that Dad and Chez got to go to see SuperCross. I still remember going with the family years ago and it rained on us. I hope you had a good time!

I can't believe that I am going to turn 20 next month. That seems like a really old age, getting out of the teenage stage.. Scary. I have tried to check My LDS mail lately but every time I log on, it says that it can't find the server, like when it's not hooked up to Internet. But only on that page. I will keep trying, but it never seems to be working whenever I get on.

I have a question for you now. What is the main dish for Utah? People always ask me and I have no idea, I just say that we eat a little of everything. I don't know what to say because I don't know if Utah is famous for any foods. Members ask what we eat there, but I can't ever think of anything. Haha. Pastas, meats, rice, everything... Who knows..

And also, do you still have that stack of my pictures from our Thailand trip? I just want to make sure I have all those when I get back, that was my favorite vacation ever. I was thinking about that the other day. Do you have all the pics of me that we took for my mission? Like the ones with the basketball and helmet, and the one with my skull bandanna, and all those?

I was wondering if you could email all those to me, just to have. Is there any way you could do that? Are they on the computer or anything like that? Thank you.

I hope you all have a great week!

Next week I will tell you about the changes.

Happy birthday again Mom!

I love you all!
Elder J.J. Green

No comments: